Sunday, November 05, 2006

Gay fact or fiction

I recently had someone tell me that a gay guy is a girl’s ultimate accessory. Every time I hear some fucked up shit like this a small piece of me dies inside. But I guess to many people, gay guys are fashionable, bitchy, well-groomed men with perfect bodies and a lot of disposable income. To some gay guys, that's exactly the standard they feel they should live up to. Nothing disappoints me more than this thought process. I always feel sad and let down by people who think this way. It also makes me resent myself a little for not adopting this fucked up way of thinking. Sometimes I think if I were more like the stereotyped gay guys, maybe I wouldn't be single.... or maybe I would have a more "fabulous" life.

So, if you don't fit the gay stereo type, then are you still gay? That's a tricky question. In the real world, you're still gay, but just different because you don't use the word fabulous. However, in the gay world you're not understood. You speak a foreign language. Your topics of conversation are confusing and are often followed by long pauses and blank stares. You're different and they fear you. You're not really considered the "right kind of gay."

So what is the "right kind of gay?" He goes to gay pride parades dressed in a cowboy hat and a Speedo. He totes a well-recognized name brand messenger bag, and can identify other people's clothing by name brand and price point. He goes to the same bars and clubs every weekend where he'll dance shirtless while high on some fashionable drug sipping on a vodka tonic. He has two or three boyfriends that probably know about each other and probably met online at some point. He worships gay icons like Madonna, and will proudly drop the name of a friend of a friend who knew someone that did Kelly Clarkson's make up. He wears sunglasses indoors and finds some way to expose his name brand underwear. He goes shopping with his closest girlfriend where they'll tell each other what they want to hear and disregard any sense of personal honesty. He is shallow. He is weak. He tolerates people using the word Gay as an adjective--he perpetuates the social lies that run deep within the thin waters of the gay community.

I clearly see myself as someone who doesn't fit this gay stereotype. However, in some social situations I will sell myself out and adopt some of the characteristics of the "right kind of gay" just to get me through. I'll admit there is some comfort in hiding behind that identity. Nevertheless, it's false, it’s life denying, and it's weak. I haven't met a gay guy yet who understands what this is all about.

5 comments:

minus five said...

thanks for not fitting in to that stereotype. its annoying at best.

i'll tell you what i can't stand... girls who change their voices and their entire personalities when they are talking to a gay guy. all of the sudden, they can't be trusted to shop alone and they are unsure of their own opinions on everything.

minus five said...

i would love to be a witness to something like that.

J. said...

Nice blog entry, Kevin. Is Verdana a stock font? You need to work on that.

ktothefe said...

Thank you J!

As for the Verdana stock type face: I've discussed it with the board members and we were not aware that we could change the typeface on the blog. However, we didn't admit this until the end of the meeting after we bullshitted each other on how much we love sans serif fonts!

D0nnaTr0y said...

So... does this mean i can have your Jack Spade bag?

also... I respect what you've said, and I'm pretty sure we've discussed this, probably after a few vodka T's, and I have to say that while the stereotype of the gay man accessory is of course wrong and degrading, there is SO much that straight women enjoy about being around a gay man, but to keep this short as it is not my blog and just the comments section, here are 2 big reasons straight girls like to hang with gay boys:

2. Girls are catty bitches that can't be trusted with honesty because they are in constant competition with you. No competition with the gay man.

1. Women (straight or gay) don't have to worry about the gay man trying to sleep with you -you pretty much have to worry about this around ANY straight man outside of your family (insert WV joke here)

so SUCK it!