Sunday, November 19, 2006

Fall Into The Gap

So it's been a week and I've been slacking off on the blog. My apologies. But I have been kicking ass with all of my assignments and navigating through the peaks and valleys of motivation!

So Saturday my motivation and inspiration were at an all time low. I didn't want to do a damn thing with design and I was sick of looking at everything I had worked on that week. So I skipped my Saturday class, got myself fixed up to go out (which I haven't done in a while) and set out for the Ansley Square Starbucks for a mid-afternoon Venti Skim with whip Peppermint Mocha! I perused through a bookstore and saturated myself into the see and be seen atmosphere. It was great. I haven't enjoyed being around gay guys in quite some time.

Afterwards, I picked up roommate and we headed to the mall for some food--and he needed a shirt from the gap. So we show up at Lennox Square mall where we hiked through the hordes of cell phone talkers and slow walkers until we reached our destination--the newly redesigned gap store (and by redesign I mean they added more blue-black and dimmed all of the lights). While roommate looked for his special shirt, I began to toy with the idea of getting a puffy vest. It was while abandoning the idea of the puffy vest that I found myself starring at a huge wall of scarves, which were arranged by color. "Consumer-me" took charge of the situation and began to yay or nay each scarf by cross-referencing each scarf in terms of occasion and outfit. Out of the blue, like a knee-jerk reaction, this new "designer-me" stepped in and told consumer-me to fuck off. I began to realize that these scarves were someone else's design. They were good designs, but they weren't my designs. And in this moment I felt like these were the only choices in scarf I could ever have. And that truly disgusted me. And then it hit me--why the fuck couldn't I design a scarf for myself? So then Consumer-me and Designer-me had a little conference call:

CM: So you want to make a scarf?

DM: Yeah, I think I can figure it out!

CM: Can you knit?

DM: No, can you?

CM: No, that's why I'm at the gap dumbass!

DM: Well, these scarves are great, but they're not unique enough for Mr. Fenton.

CM: Who's Mr. Fenton?

DM: I've learned a lot in the past couple months--I’ve cut paper, made boxes, and even worked with leather burning! Why not add knitting to the list?

CM: (silence)

DM: Yea!! Let's do it CM!! Let's learn to knit and make awesome scaves!

CM: What's the worst that could happen?


And then CM and DM went to the Ansley Square Starbucks where they both found hot Latino boyfriends!



So it was while looking at scarves at the gap that i was able to actually feel my own potential. Roommate got his shirt, I got a puffy vest, and we went home and got to work! I like to think that this jolt of gap-induced inspiration was worth missing class for.

And if anyone knows how to knit--please pass along some tips!!! My goal is to have one scarf knitted by Christmas break!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, it's true. I have, on occasion, purchased from the Gap. For the record, it's always straight to the sale rack.

Skim milk with whip? Who are you kidding?

Aren't all Starbucks gay?

Right Salmon said...

One of my projects this quarter is making my own scarf... I am embrodering (sp?) fabric leaves and stuff....but it all has to do with growing!!! Basically, how I have grown over the past year at PC. I love scarfs!!! Good luck with your own!!!

minus five said...

a few years ago, while i was playing the waiting game between pc and job life, i decided i should learn to knit. this lady from church had me out to her house and i stayed there for several hours learning all i could. we were supposed to have many more lessons, but i got a job and had to move.

i took up knitting for a period of days while in ny. three days to be exact. my asshole boss was out of town and i didn't feel like working. i spent my work hours taking naps on the couch, knitting and going outside for cigarette breaks.

ktothefe said...

I wonder if Sylvia would mind if I scrapped all of my paper-cutting projects and replace them with one giant scarf. I will tell her that wearing this giant scarf is just like getting a peck on the nose from Jesus….

ktothefe said...

I wonder if Sylvia would mind if I scrapped all of my paper-cutting projects and replace them with one giant scarf. I will tell her that wearing this giant scarf is just like getting a peck on the nose from Jesus….

D0nnaTr0y said...

KEVIN! I want to learn to knit too! Every christmas I say I'm going to. Nadje is a fantastic knitter and knits scarfs all the time. Let's make a deal to learn this Christmas!

Tania Rochelle said...

Kevin, I can teach you to crochet. It's easier, because there's one tool, not two. I only know how to make scarves, but since that's what you want...