Monday, August 27, 2007

This past weekend I took a little time to myself and indulged in one of my favorite movies EVER: The Transporter (1 and 2). These movies are not about the plot line or the acting. No. These movies are all about the CARS! Transporter 1 featured the 1999 BMW 750iL (however, in the movie the car is referred to at the BMW 735iL).



Transporter 2 featured the 2005 Audi A8--a very sexy car!





Watching these movies reminded me of how much I really love cars. And that got me thinking about when I first started to learn about cars:

it was 1994 and I was living in Newport, RI (one of my favorite places to have ever lived!)



I was a freshman in high school and really didn't know much about anything. One afternoon, a few of my friends and I had stayed late after school, and we were all waiting to be picked up. My good friend CJ's mom was the first to pull up. Her mom drove a very classy 1994 Jaguar XJ.



I had no idea what a Jaguar even was or what it meant. My friend had to tell me that it was a very expensive car. That's really when my awareness of cars in general began to come about. In June of 1995, we moved to Yucca Valley, CA.




One night, I was with my siblings at the local grocery store (VONS) and picked up Consumer Report's best/worst cars for 1996. I ended up buying the magazine and reading it cover to cover. This was really the first time I ever remember being completely engaged with something so intently. From there I started buying Motor Trend magazine. Eventually my mom got me a subscription to it. I pretty much had a Motor Trend magazine with me at all times. We used to have to travel all over Southern CA for my younger siblings soccer games and I would always read the MT magazine while on the road. It was exciting for me to read about the latest and greatest BMW, and then actually see one on the road!

This was also the time when I began my driver's training/education. Naturally I assumed that my parents were going to get me a car of my own. I used to read the car ads in the Sunday paper and try to convince my parents to buy me cars. The summer of my Junior year in high school, I pitched a huge fit because my parents would buy me a BMW 318ti!






It was the cheapest BMW you could buy at the time. It retailed at $19,999. And somehow, in my little mind, I thought: "well it's under $20,000! it must be affordable!" Clearly, I had no concept of money, and my parents would just laugh every time I brought it up. I used to call up car manufactures and ask for brochures. They would usually send them, and I would take them apart and hang up my favorite car pictures all over my room. I even "designed" all of my school notebooks with collages of my favorite cars.

So all of this said. I have decided to start a weekly posting called: Car of the Week. Where I will blog about whatever car I like the most for that particular week. Or whatever car I hate the most for that particular week!

2 comments:

D0nnaTr0y said...

What?! No mention of our beloved Oldsmobile Cutless Calais??? The one give to you (and not me who was the oldest and in college and never had a car) by our dear grandparents so that you could take girls out on dates??

ktothefe said...

LOL I thought I may leave that one out, because perhaps it meant more to you than it did to me :)