Monday, January 07, 2008

There really isnt't a good title for this one...

PREFACE: I've had a little bit to drink tonight....

I love nights like tonight. As cliched as it may sound, I feel like I'm on the verge of a new great phase of my life--there have been so many!!! But right now, tonight, I love being at school, and I love all the people I've met and the bonds that have been formed. There's truly nothing like it. So often, I look back on the first day that we were all crammed into one room. We sat as complete and total strangers. I never thought that I would come to love so many people in one room! Maybe it's because these people see me the same way I see myself. Or maybe it's because the last year has been a year of complete awakening and everything just looks better through these lenses! Regardless of the reason, I have met some completely amazing people here at school.

I find myself now at the beginning of my sixth quarter. This happened so quickly. It's amazing what you can accomplish in one year. I can only imagine what will happen this year. It's like I have a much more clear, defined idea of what I want my life to be after this is all said and done. Not only do I know what I want it to be, but I feel like I have the tools and the talent to make it happen. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem so far out of reach. It's like sometimes I see it in other people. And I look at them and think that I am on my way to living that.

As I get reacquainted with my life in Atlanta, it's impossible not to reflect on the past decade that got me to where I am today. It's all a combination of the some of the best and absolute worst decisions I've ever made. What's weirder is that spending time in Virginia over the break afforded me the opportunity to physically revisit the birthplace of said decisions! I spent an afternoon in Richmond--where I spent most of my undergraduate days. There's an allure to that city that's hard for many to pass up. It's small, quaint, and extremely affordable. But it's fraught with limits and narrow-minded attitudes. I describe much of my experience in Richmond to be dark, cold, and lonely. To revisit the city as the person I am today turned out to be so haunting. I have absolutely no desire now to return to that city. I eventually made it back up to Northern VA. It's about 2 hours north of Richmond, but is clearly worlds away. The same haunting feeling rushed back as I drove past my old office and my old apartment. Such sadness. Being back up in Northern VA again only solidified in my mind that I will never have to live there again. I know not why I feel the need to bring this up, but as I mentioned in my preface--I've had a bit to drink tonight!

I bought a new area rug for my workspace today. I completely love this rug. It's taken me a year to justify this purchase. I know if my father were to find about this new purchase I would never hear the end of it! That's why if/when he comes to visit, I'll have to tell him it's my new roommate's rug! But this rug is awesome. It's 100% wool. And as weird as it may sound, the way I feel tonight can be equated with the way it feels to walk across a brand new rug in new socks. There's such a soft comforting feeling that you get. And it'll only last for a little while. So you had better take notice, or it will pass right over you. And be lost forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Insightful. Ain't it wonderful the effect alcohol can have. Good luck with sixth quarter!