Monday, December 18, 2006

i'm too tired to think of a witty title.....

So after three straight nights of going out, getting wasted, and not really sleeping much, today was my total day of rest. I watched most of the entire third season of Arrested Development. Damn that show is hilarious! I think the third season is my favorite by far. I love that the storyline is bizarre and uncomfortably odd. But I really love how the writing seems to take on a bit of an allegorical context; it seems to be telling the story of why the show was cancelled. At least that's my theory. Perhaps after watching some of the episodes with the commentary on, I will be able to determine if this is the case. The writing in the third season seems to have a darker tone to it compared to the other two seasons. I love that these characters seem to be bitterer (more bitter??) than in the previous two seasons.

Tonight I checked out a documentary a la Blockbuster--(I miss the documentary selection of Netflix). Anyway, this was an older documentary called Searching For Debra Winger. The documentary focused on women in the film industry and how hard it is for them. It was produced and told by Rosanna Arquette. it was pretty interesting, though the interviews with Sharon Stone and Jane Fonda made me throw up in my mouth. The subject matter was interesting and the interview with Debra Winger was great, but the rest of the documentary seemed a bit forced, as the other high profile actresses like Meg Ryan and Diane Lane really seemed to be "on".

I have this fascination with Hollywood and how it's run. There's this great book called "The Player" by Michael Tolkin--who also wrote the screenplay for the 1992 film. It gives this dark, scary satirical view of Hollywood and the entertainment business. It's so strange how different that world is. The rules of engagement are completely different--from what I can tell. A part of me really wants to investigate the raw truth of Hollywood and expose it all. I think it's time that we see those celebrities that we hold in such high esteem taken down a few notches and viewed as the real human beings they actually are---flaws and all!

No comments: